Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thankful Thursday- Pumpkin Scones!

I know this may sound silly, but I love fall because pumpkin is one of my favorite foods. It doesn't matter if it is pumpkin scones, cake, cookies, pies, custards, soups, seeds...Yum! My cousin Shelley sent me a pumpkin scone recipe that I tried last week. Wow! I have never had anything more pumpkinly amazing. It is one of my top favorites. So I thought that I would pass it along to you. Enjoy!


PUMPKIN SCONES
Makes 6 large or 12 small scones

Scone Ingredients:
2 cups flours
7 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
6 Tbl cold butter
1/2 cup canned raw pumpkin
3 Tbl half and half
1 large egg

Sugar Glaze:
1 cup and 1 Tbl powdered sugar
2 Tbl milk

Spice Glaze:
1 cup and 1 Tbl powdered sugar
2 Tbl whole milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch cloves

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease cooking sheet or line with parchment paper.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a large mixing bowl.
4. With a fork, or pastry cutter, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter remain. Set aside.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, mix pumpkin, half and half, and egg.
6. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
7. Pat dough out on lightly floured surface and form into a 1" thick rectangle (about 9" long and 3" wide).
8. Use a large knife and divide the dough into three equal proportions. Cut diagonally to produce six triangular slices of dough.
9. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Place on wire rack to cool.

Glaze Instructions:
1. Sugar glaze- Mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Brush glaze over the top of each cooled scone.
2. Spice glaze- As the sugar glaze firms, combine all spiced glaze ingredients. Use a whisk to drizzle over each scone and allow to dry before serving.

**I personally think that it is too much with the spice glaze. I like it best with just the sugar glaze. If you like a strong spice flavor as well as really sweet, then use both glazes.

2 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin too! I'm definitely going to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us, Jodie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty much going to say exactly what Elizabeth said :) My birthday is Oct 28, so I am a fall and pumpkin girl. So excited to try these...

    ReplyDelete